YOGA, MEDITATION & MINDFULNESS WITH The Theory and Practice of Integrative Psychotherapy
Mental Yoga and Mindfulness practices are powerful tools for assisting in emotional healing, self- regulation and resiliency.
This course will provide participants a thorough overview of how yoga and mindfulness can impact on and heal issues related to emotional dysregulation, depression, anxiety, trauma, an overactive brain, and negative wiring.
DATES: OCTOBER 22-27, 2018
The course includes theory, research, and practice in 8 distinct areas, as follows:
- How psychology categorizes Psychiatric Disorders,
- The definition and symptoms of common psychiatric disorders
- Common steps / stages of a clinical intervention
- Active listening and interviewing skills for the Peer Counselor
- Understanding affective neuroscience, stress, and Mental Health
- Understanding an Integrative Model of yoga and psychology
- A basic overview of theories of human development, personality, and various cultural & societal influences on development
- Opportunities for clinical practice and application inclusive of understanding referral and ethical guidelines for the yoga therapist peer counselor.
About the Trainer
M. Mala Cunningham, Ph.D., E-RYT 500, C-IAYT is a Certified Yoga Therapist and a Counseling Psychologist in private practice in Charlottesville, VA. She is a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Virginia (UVA) School of Nursing where she teaches the courses in Foundations of Medical Yoga for Health Professionals. Dr. Cunningham is also the president of Positive Health Solutions and is the co-director of Medical Yoga at UVA and is involved in several Yoga-based initiatives at UVA, including a research study exploring the impact of Medical Yoga on lupus patients and CME and CEU courses in Medical Yoga offered through the Professional Development office. Dr. Mala specializes in Neuroscience, Yoga Psychology, Cardiac and Medical Yoga, and mindfulness. She is an Integral Yoga Minister and a senior disciple of Sri Swami Satchidananda. She has been practicing and teaching Yoga for over 35 years and has been featured in numerous radio, print, and TV interviews. Dr. Cunningham is also the author of Medical Yoga: A Gentle and Modified Practice of Yoga for Assistance in Healing andCardiac Yoga; and the CDs entitled: Healing Journey and Before and After Surgery: Guided Imagery & Relaxation for Surgery Patients.