Integral Yoga: Basic TT
Integral Yoga: Basic TT
Hong Kong's only Integral Yoga Teacher Training
The Integral Yoga system is based on the teachings of Sri Swami Satchidananda. The goal of Integral Yoga is todevelop an easeful body, a peaceful mind and a useful life. The basis of the Integral Yoga Teacher Training Programme focuses on these key components:
- Developing and nurturing a consistent self practice for personal growth
- Understanding the different branches of Integral Yoga (going beyond a body-based practice)
- Complete instruction in how to teach the Integral Yoga Hatha I class. This includes foundation asanas (postures), pranayama (breathing techniques), deep relaxation, chanting and meditation.
Integral Yoga has conducted Yoga Teacher Training Programmes since the 1970s and is one of the founding members of the Yoga Alliance. The basic Hatha I class of Integral Yoga is utilised by Dr. Dean Ornish in his groundbreaking work in reversing heart disease. In addition, teacher trainees will learn the essential components of the Yoga science, philosophy, code of conduct and lifestyle precepts. The curriculum includes the following:
- In-depth study and practice of Integral Yoga Hatha I class
- The underlying philosophy, psychology and practices of Integral Yoga
- A comprehensive introduction to Raja Yoga — the science of the mind
- Complete anatomy and physiology of yoga — theory and function
- Elements of a yoga lifestyle (yogic diet, fasting and detox, kriyas, etc.)
- Guidance on teaching to the individual and adapting to suit different populations
- The basics of setting up a successful teaching practice
Integral Yoga’s comprehensive certification programmes provide a strong foundation for personal and spiritual development. Participants gain an appreciation for nurturing a personal practice and the skills for teacher trainees to become a knowledgeable and professional yoga teachers. The Integral Yoga training process creates a safe environment where students can realise their own potential, gaining respect for themselves and a greater capacity to be of service to others.
At least one year experience as a Hatha Yoga student, and a sincere desire to learn more about the essence of Yoga; be diligent and disciplined students; and be committed to the course throughout its duration. It is advantageous for applicants to be familiar with the Integral Yoga system beforehand. It is recommended that applicants take a few Integral Yoga Hatha classes before attending the Teacher Training Programme.
Requirements for Certification
The Integral Yoga Teacher Training Program requires regular attendance, serious application and home study. We are confident that we can certify all our applicants if they are committed to study and practice. Applicants must complete a minimum of 200 hours of study. Of these, 180 hours must be in-person contact hours. Participants go through a series of qualifying exams and presentations, and has monthly homework assignments.
Upon successful completion of the course, each graduate receives a diploma from the Integral Yoga Teaching Academy certifying that he or she may teach at the level of Integral Yoga Hatha I, and may be listed as a teacher in the Integral Yoga Teachers’ Directory*. Additionally, graduating teachers are qualified to be a Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT) at the 200 hour level with the Yoga Alliance. The Yoga Alliance is an internationally recognised voluntary alliance of organisations and teachers dedicated to uphold the integrity of yoga, establish standards for yoga teachers, and provide support for yoga professionals.**
The principal instructor for the Integral Yoga Teacher Training Programme is Hersha Chellaram. She has studied with Sri Swami Satchidananda since she was a child. She has attended many of the Integral Yoga programs in her youth and became a certified Integral Yoga instructor in 2002. Since then, Hersha has taught at many Integral Yoga programs, retreats and Teacher Trainings. She will be joined by other professionals for the Anatomy & Physiology, and Diet & Nutritional parts of the course.
The price of the Integral Yoga Teachers Training Programme is HK$28,600 per person for the course, which includes tuition, training materials and a weekend retreat. Participants seeking scholarships may apply separately.
* Certified Integral Yoga teachers may submit personal details to the Integral Yoga Teachers’ Association for inclusion in the Integral Yoga Teachers’ Directory
** Must apply to the Yoga Alliance separately